How long does it take to register under the Maltese flag?
If all documents are available, it takes about 2/3 days to get the provisional certificate.
What are the advantages of the Maltese flag?
- Serious and internationally recognized shipping register.
- European flag with a long maritime tradition
- In just 2/3 days you will receive the provisional registration certificate so that you can start sailing.
- Marriages can be made on Maltese ships
What are my commitments under the Maltese flag
- Raise the Maltese national flag
- Raise the flag of the country you are sailing in
- Include your boat name and home port in letters on the back of the boat or on the sides if there is no space
- The Maltese flag register must be renewed every 1 year
- Be up to date with your tax payments (VAT, local taxes, etc.)
- All local sea rules, speed, navigation areas, etc. continue to apply.
I am not a European.
You can still apply for Maltese registration, we can set up a Maltese company for you and you will become the owner of the Maltese company and the Maltese company will own the ship. Starting a Maltese company is a straightforward affair. There are no citizenship requirements for both shareholders and directors. Or another option that we can appoint a resident agent for you. For more information please contact us by email: [email protected]
Eligibility to participate
All types of vessels, from pleasure yachts to oil rigs, including vessels under construction, can be registered provided that they are 100% owned by any legal person or entity, regardless of their nationality or citizens of the European Union. Ships less than 6 meters in length cannot be registered with the Maltese International Registration. Starting a Maltese company is a straightforward affair. There are no citizenship requirements for both shareholders and directors.
Do I have to pay VAT?
Yes, VAT is a European tax and driving under any other flag does not exempt you from VAT. To apply for Maltese registration, proof of payment of VAT is required. If you are buying a new boat, this should be noted on the purchase receipt. If you are buying a used boat, the VAT should have been paid by the previous owner. When buying the boat, ask for proof of this VAT payment.